Friday, January 10, 2014

5 Things to Try This Weekend: January 10 - 12




1. Make a new kind of soup. It's National Soup Month! I am kind of addicted to making large portions of Crock Pot goodies at the beginning of the week and nomming on the left overs for lunch all week. Creamy Tomato Tortellini? Chicken Rotisserie Tortilla? Emilie Bell's Roasted Tomato (that I made once and enjoyed immensely)? Panera Copycat Broccoli Cheddar? CROCK POT Potato Soup? I just realized how obsessed with soup I am...

2. Create an emergency kit. For work today, we were at an all day personal security presentation. It was actually very helpful and really cool. The guy who taught the class is out of Branson and also teaches a very extensive conceal and carry class. If you're looking to learn, I would highly recommend him here! Anyway, for the new year, I'd like to put together a little (cute) package of preparedness.

3. Wear white on white. Now that they snow is slowing melting...I'm gonna have to step in for the #whiteout outfit. I'm not sure I can pull it off, but I'm willing to try!

4. Ease back into exercise. Another new year plan to improve my life, ease back into exercise. I've been doing well so far this week with my two workouts, but this weekend is the pushing point. If you haven't gotten into it yet, this weekend is the time to start! Just three days a week, thirty minutes and work your way to exercise excellence.

5. Get your financial life in order. Take a second look at your budget...or START one, make a savings plan for the new year, consider a credit card (need to start building that credit) or cut out one costly thing you did last year (bi-weekly manicures, shopping at HyVee, eating out more than once a week, buying candy bars at the check-out...you know what you do).

** Quick check-in on the NYR (New Year's Resolutions), so far I've only missed one check mark! I was late to work on Thursday, UGH. Also, the cursing still happened, but I was mostly conscious of it when it happened...which, I think, is the first step to recovery?


*     *     *


First of all, I want to acknowledge that I actually did all of these things over the weekend. Usually I have to cheat and do one on Monday or something, but this weekend, I nailed it. Then I got to the office on Monday and it was CRAZY. So was Tuesday. This is honestly the first chance I've had to put up the post, so you'll have to forgive me.

1. Make a new kind of soup. I made this Creamy Tomato Tortellini and it was GOOD. Well, it's pretty darn rich and more like a pasta. But still very delicious and very sufficiently still being my leftovers.

2. Create an emergency kit. This was so much fun! I posted a picture of my Emergency Home Kit, but also made an Emergency Car Kit and an Emergency Purse Kit. I'll be doing a post about the car kit later this week, so keep an eye out!

3. Wear white on white. I wish I had a photo of me in the outfit, but Aaron tried to take one and they all turned out so horrible, I had to settle for this. I promise it looked good...though I did get some funny looks from the other patrons of McNally's...it's not really the kind of place where people appreciate a trendy outfit.

4. Ease back into exercise. If ever there was a day to workout, it was Sunday. Beautiful weather! It was so great to run outside again...though the trail was still snowy and wet and, in some places, icy. The run was challenging and muddy, but definitely worth it.

5. Get your financial life in order. I made a binder of financial, medical, residential, etc. information and updated my budget. Made some tweeks to my online bank account and organized my gift cards (again). Hopefully I can save some money this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment