Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Uncalendar

So. Have you heard about the Uncalendar?
Uncalendar: the most helpful, life-changing, user-conscious weekly/monthly planner known to man.

These little gems, while not ascetically appealing, come in two styles (Lifestyle and Lifestyle Pro) and two sizes for each style (8.5' x 11" and 5.5" x 8.5", or paper and half-paper). There are three simple cover colors (black, blue and red) and the planners can only be purchased online.

But it's not the numerical details that matter. What really counts is how user-conscious the Uncalendar is. There are four tabs to the planner: Day-Week, Month-Goals, Notes-Tech, Data. Day-Week is the regular, most frequently used section. Each week is allotted a two-page spread, the right displaying the vertical days with a header of boxes and the left a variety of different boxes.

Side Tabs














On the right page, each day has the number left blank...I LOVE THIS. Over the summer, when I don't need so much structure to my life, I can simply stop using the planner and start back up in the fall. The daily columns are a little narrow, especially for my wide handwriting, but that's one of my few complaints.
 
Header of Right Page














 The left-page "boxes" are a variety of sizes and include a Scratch Box (blank), List Boxes (numbered and lined), a Graph Box (for "weekly goal tracking") and a few Isolation Boxes (for key items). The idea is that you can keep all reminder notes, lists, and scribbled ideas in one place. And that's why I love it. Depending on the semester, I usually assign one box to a major event in my life. What's pictured is from a particularly busy Philanthropy week last year. So I'll have a list of things to do for our Philanthropy dinner and of the weekly required Blackboard discussion posts or quizzes. I used to leave an isolated box for the housecode or people to call or text throughout the week. One box I use for a grocery list and the other for the week's assignments. If I have a particularly stressful day coming up, then I take a box to list out my TO DOs.

Day-Week Page Layout














 I hope I'm accurately describing the incredible convenience of the Uncalendar?

The next tab declares Month-Goals. I don't use this section as much, perhaps I lack the "big-picture skills", but it was helpful from time to time. Often, I used this section for summer months.

Month-Goals Page Layout














 The Notes-Techs section is also less popular in my user experience, but helpful all the same. The right page is a large box, numbered and lined for notes, while the left page offers a variety of smaller boxes. I use this section for more elaborate, long-term lists, such as: Blog Topic Ideas, Recruitment Outfit Requirements, Movies to See, Halloween Costume Ideas, Phone Numbers to Know and the Columbia Bar Specials.

Notes-Tech Page Layout













 
The final Data tab just has a few more random boxes and the months for the next three years.

Did I mention that before every tab there is a brief user guide? Because that is the case. There are tips for color-coding, goal-setting, organizing and ideas for lists you should be keeping. The Uncalendar is everything you could want in a calendar/planner and it's been changing my life since the day I bought it. I hope it can do the same for you if you're will to invest $19.95 for the 8.5" x 11" or $14.95 for the 5.5" x 8.5".

Seriously. Get after it.


8 comments:

  1. I love Uncalendar planners! I bust out my full-size one when my life is especially busy. I love their goal setting and time management tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the article! I like hearing a college student's prospective before I start using a planner. I'm very excited about starting Uncalendar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the Uncalendar, Kylie! It will change your life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I see that you have your own version of a printable calendar on another blog? I would absolutely LOVE having your templates! I also "promote" things on Facebook a lot so if I had your permission I would get the word out about your templates and maybe you could get them published! clara.e.keith@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been needing to post my version of the calendar for a while now...thanks so much for getting my butt in motion, Clara! Haha :) I've created an extensive post about my design and information on ordering. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again!

    http://kaitlinroweton.blogspot.com/2014/11/my-customized-planner.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sure you meant aesthetically pleasing. Ascetics are kind of the opposite of anything to do with pleasing.

    ReplyDelete