Thursday, November 13, 2014

My Customized Planner

Way back in college, I used the Uncalendar. It is a darling little calendar with great list making pages, a simple layout and best of all fillable, non-conforming dates/months/years. But...loving beautiful design, as I do, I couldn't stand the boring, ugly look of the Uncalendar. So I made my own...


Here we have the back and cover pages. Just a cute little design with a little more color than the Uncalendar. I printed these on a heavier cardstock paper and laminated them.


Then I created the divider pages. Ideal I would have gone back and affixed tabs to the edge of each, but I don't think I ever got around to doing it. Anyway - these were also printed on the cardstock paper, but not laminated.


Now, for the real fun. This is what you need for every week of your life. A whole page dedicated to any list you might encounter (in college I had a to do list for every class, plus a few extra-curricular lists and shopping lists, etc). Then a schedule with those non-confirming dates I was talking about. See how you are able to write in the days/month/year on each page. You might not really think about needing that - but it was perfect for me! Winter break: not in town, no firm plans, days spent on the ski slopes...so I just skipped a week. In summer, when my schedules slowed drastically, I just used the monthly pages and skipped the weekly use.


The monthly layout is also very basic. A general space for the monthly to do items (pay rent, change tires, etc) and those same non-conforming spaces for the days. 


Now for the fun stuff. I created a few shopping pages. The thing about groceries, is that you probably have a pretty firm list of items you always keep in stock - occasionally you do a fun recipe and need to buy evaporated milk, but that what the "Other" column is for. I created a checkmark on each side of the item, so I would check the items I needed before I went shopping and then check the item once I had procured them. Another great idea was the birthday page. Just a simple place to keep track of all the birthday for the year. With the non-conforming dates, this is kind of necessity, since you don't want to be filling out weeks too far in advance.

Finally, my last two fun pages were a place to write down all those songs/books/movies you hear a friend recommend and then immediately forget about and a personal information page. I know, I know, I know - it's probably not the best idea to keep personal information written down on a page in a book you might lose, but that's my prerogative. If you don't like it, don't use it!

I printed and coil-bound my planner at the Mizzou print shop (you could also use a FedEx or Staples), but my mom and other users have just printed the pages as needed and 3-hole punched them for a standard binder. Perfect and flexible.

I should have posted this sooner (the world needs to know!) but my mom has had the design on her blog, resulting in a few inquiries over the years. My standard rate is $20 for the PDF of the weekly and monthly pages, as they are. If customized colors, layouts, pages, designs, etc. are needed, I charge and initial $10, plus $15/hour of revisions. I would love to work with you to create a personalized planner - or just share the design with you. For more information, or to order a planner, please comment with your email address or email me personally at kaitlinroweton@gmail.com.

Thanks to those of you who have expressed and interest over the years!

8 comments:

  1. Crazy but could you make one that's plain for us to decorate on our own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't say no right away...would you be decorating digitally (within a software program) or physically (by doodling or crafting)? Please feel free to email me with your response or additional questions. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Looks great! How many pages is the PDF you send out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you still selling the downloads to this planner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I emailed you and I am also interested in the planner. How could I possibly obtain one if you are still selling it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Blog! This post gives a better idea. Thanks for the useful information. You can also check our blog : new year diary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for one marvelous posting! I had enjoyed reading it. You can also read similar blog: customised planners

    ReplyDelete