Friday, June 21, 2013

(Late) Father's Day Frosted Mug

Well. Happy Late Father's Day! So, I guess as a grown up, I'm obligated to send presents now (missed Sam's birthday already, oops). So, I crafted my dad this cutesy mug for Father's Day...and then sent it two days later. Oops again. Aaaaand here's how it went.

MATERIALS NEEDED:
  • beer mug 
  • contact paper (its in the kitchen supplies at Walmart)
  • exacto knife
  • frosted glass spray
  • gloss coating spray
  • CANDIESSSZ

DIRECTIONS:

1. Create your words in...well, whatever you've got. I have the luxury of InDesign, but you could do it in Word too. Print off the text in a size that will fit on the mug, and tape the text to the shiny side of the contact paper.


Tape closely to each edge, because as you cut out the letters,
you'll want to be sure the page doesn't get off from the contact paper.

2. Using the exacto knife, cut out the letters. This is painful...I actually might have lost the nerves in my finger tip for a few days.


Don't forget to save your letter holes!
Good Tip: If you save the letters you've cut out, you can use those too!
Perhaps on a complimentary whiskey glass?

3. Peel the contact paper and place it as securely as you can on the mug. Start with one edge and press firmly as you stick the cutout on the glass. To rid the sticker of bubbles, push them towards the openings...though it's not entirely effective.




3. Then, hold your frosted glass spray about 6 inches from the glass and spray the mug. If you spray too closely, you'll get bubbles in the paint.



4. After about five minutes, peel off the contact paper and spray the side of the mug with a gloss coating. Again, attempt to keep the spray can about 6 inches from the glass.



5. Tie the candy collection with a bow and package that sucker up for shipping. Hopefully you can do better than me and send it in time to arrive ON Father's Day...


"Cheers, POPS" is the mug I made for Aaron's gift to his dad.
I think I like that phrase better...it's kinda cute.



2 comments:

  1. awesome idea. i'm trying to do something like this for a friends present. how well does the design hold up if he were to use and wash the mug regularly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad ended up using it mostly as a decorative desk accessories :) But I would definitely recommend hand-washing. And I can't emphasize enough the importance of the acrylic coating. That will really seal it against wear and tear. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete