Monday, April 2, 2012

Spring Break in Boston

While some of you spent your Spring Breaks stumbling through the warm, sandy beaches of Panama City, I enjoyed the chillier temperatures (and bumpier streets) of Boston with an equal amount of stumbling. I love beaches as much as the next person who loves being happy, but I'm not particularly fond of the whole PCB experience.

My dear, darling, sweet Emilie Bell (check out her blog here) lives in Boston and attends Suffolk University. Last Tuesday, Emilie turned 21. Ooooh good times. This is the second Spring Break I have spent with her in Boston, the last being documented here. The first visit was more historically-themed, whereas this second trip centered mostly around 21-year old activities, shopping and food. On a scale of one to neat...the trip was beyond neat.

WEDNESDAY:
On the night of my arrival, Kaston (Emilie's boyfriend) and I played trivia at a bar called Goody's down the street from their apartment. Emilie had to study for a test--booooo--though it was Kaston and I who could have used the study time...we did not do so well. We DID, however, know the two actress who play the female love interests of Eddie Murphy's character in Doctor Dolittle. Do you...?

THURSDAY:
The next day started with lunch at Legal Seafood and then shopping at a gloriously large mall. Can you say two-story Forever 21 AND H&M? Get excited. I spent too much, but it was all justified as being "work clothes", which I desperately need. For dinner we ate GLORIOUS organic pizza at Flatbread/Bowling Haven. Each of us ordered a different kind and swapped pieces until we had devoured the entire meal. We took the train from here to "the end of the line", where we got off and walked down rape-trail to a grooooovy bowling ally. By grooooovy, I mean that the walls were carpeted. Here was did the New England classic, Candle Pin Bowling. The main differences are that the pins are the same width (about the thickness of the top of a traditional pin) and you use a weighted softball-sized ball. You get three rolls and do two frames at a time, but it is interestingly fun and I won once. Also I beat Em at pool...just so that doesn't go forgotten.



FRIDAY:
Friday was spent with some antiquing and more shopping in search of Emilie's Birthday Dream Dress. That night, we took the train to see Kaston and Nick's band, My Politic play at a super cool art gallery. The music was incredible, as usual, and we all had a great time chatting as we squeezed through the crowded venue to the BBQ and PBRs.



SATURDAY:
The morning and afternoon was spent in the continued search of the Dream Dress, which we finally found. It was a beautiful, black, textured dress that will get lots of wear, right Em? Emilie, Ashley and I came home to hurriedly finish Emilie's and another girl's shot book before we got ready and left for the night. After a few reservation hiccups, we ate at Boston Beer Works. Though Emilie doesn't particularly like beer, she made the most of the place and was ready to start at our first bar; Bleacher Bar. Why was this place so neat? Because the back of the bar opens out into the Fenway Park outfield. On a scale of 1 to neat...it was pretty neat. After that we rode the train to our next three bars: The Pour House, Lir and McGreevy's. The were all awesome, hole-in-the-wall places with NO COVER. I forget what it's like to be someplace other than Columbia and not have to pay to walk through the door, for God's sake. We stayed the longest at McGreevy's, an Irish pub owned by the Drop Kick Murphy's. The music was great, including: American Pie (Don McLean), Inside Out (Eve 6), You Oughta Know (Alanis Morissette) and We Are Young (Fun). Don't kid yourself, the music makes the bar.



SUNDAY:
Surprisingly I woke up earlier than any other day this week. I packed my stuff and then we drove me to the airport. The flight went smoothly and I met up with Nana and Bob to get my car at the airport. Then I headed home and met up with Abbie at Shakespeare's for some pizza and catch-up on our lives over Spring Break. Sounds like she got some serious work-outs in. She's pretty intense. The rest of the night consisted of the terrible unpacking/laundry activity. It took forever to get everything out of my bags, put away or washed. But yes, I finally did. Then I picked up Abbie and we went to see Hunger Games...it was alright. LIAM HEMSWORTH GET AT ME.

Nom nom nom.
The week was a lot of fun. I made some new friends (Ashley, Nicole, Eva) and I got to spend time with my long-lost pals (Nick, Kaston, Emilie). I am so grateful to have gotten to go.

1 comment:

  1. My heart is singing. Luckily for everyone else it's waaaay prettier than my real voice. I'm so happy you spent another spring break with me in Boston. You were the best birthday present a girl could ask for...I mean if I had to put you on a scale from one to neat...you'd be pretty NEAT. I love you ging.

    ReplyDelete