Friday, March 23, 2012

All Dress Up: '50s Chick


This is a thing I might start. I love dressing up and I would love to share a little behind the brainstorm process as to creating a costume. So, the first one I'll do '50s Chick. A little while ago we had a Theta Ladies Sock Hop party, to which I wore what is pictured there on the right. To the left is the group, though you can't see the costumes too well.

When researching costumes, I came across the following variations that I liked:

'50s Glam
Big hair, big necklace, '50s style dress with Mary Jane heels.

'50s School Girl
Polka dot piece (could be skirt or top), cardigan, white Keds with socks.

Rizzo
Black collared top, black pencil skirt and black heels, thick belt, pink jacket.
TIP: The pink jacket could be made from a larger pink collared shirt tied at the waste. You could even puff paint or iron-on the Pink Ladies on the back.



Sweet Sandy

Typical poodle skirt, simple top, bow or head-band.
TIP 1: I took a long, flowy skirt that I already earned and cut a poodle out of felt, then I just stitched in a few places so I could take it off easily.
TIP 2: Felt could also be cut into the collar pieces and sewn to a shirt.

Naughty Sandy
Black leggings, black top (preferably off the shoulder), scarf around the neck, big curly hair, red heels and belt.

I am a firm believer in accessories. They make the costume. So, the best '50s accessories are:
- hoop earrings
- Wayfarers or cat-shaped shades
- chunky necklace or...
- pearls
- comb?

My costume consisted of...
1) Black, off the shoulder top
2) Grey, flowy skirt with poodle
3) Thick, black belt
4) Simple, black flats
5) Wayfarers
6) Red-painted nails
...and wore it damn well, eh?

On a final note, it is easy (and still cute) to go for the '50s Greaser Guy. Jeans, white vneck, Converses and even a leather jacket would be a cute look. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment