Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Loose, Lacy Top Anyone?

So. I have been on the prowl for a loose-fitting, lacy top to wear over a bandeau or a tank or whatever. The amount that I lovvvve lace is unreal, but like with most things in my life I am incredibly particular when it comes to specifics. From the colors of athletic shoes to the size of a pair of stud earrings, I know exactly what I want and the loose, lacy top is no exception.

When I was home for the beginning of Spring Break, mom bought me the most adorable lace fabric for like $10 at WalMart. I saw it and knew it was love. After a week of that lovely lace burning a hole in my luggage, I finally got to get crafty with it today. Here is what happened:

 1. I took another loose top that I really like and cut out two pieces, one with a lower scooped neck.
 These are the pieces...
2. This was the tricky part. Lace is NOT easy to sew, but I used a thick embroidery floss and needle to kind of weave up and down through the layered material. I was careful not to let it bunch, but lay straight. I did this twice to create a stronger seam.

Aaaand there we go!
3. I don't think I can wash it. Since there isn't a seam around the sleeves or neck I just have to be careful not to let them fringe. I considered maybe trying to melt the edges or something, but I didn't really know a way to do that and still look nice.


1 comment: