Monday, May 16, 2016

How to Party Plan Like a Pro // If You Feed Them, They Will Come

I just love random, little holidays...such as Cinco de Mayo! It is actually surprisingly difficult to decorate for without buying a million aztecy/southwesterny printed things. But I found a couple of bright and colorful Cinco de Mayo weddings and that game me a little inspiration.



So, the central goal of this party was to feed people. Being that there was a large group...and it needed to be Mexican food of some sort, I opted to make "carnitas" and give people the option to do nachos or tacos. My friend Blair (co-worker, marathon runner, expert dinner-maker) had made this delectable spicy shredded pork for me before, so I knew that's what I had to do. Unfortunately, mine didn't turn out as good. Her's was soooo flavorful and mine was like, eh. So, my recommendation for this recipe is to go crazy on the rub - you can't have too much.  



Then I set up all kinds of toppings: cilantro, sour cream, queso fresco, jalapenos, limes and salas, as well as some queso dip going on in the mini crockpot. People said nice things about it, but like I said...I was disappointed with the pork.



 And in the other ring! I had my Uncle Steve's famous margaritas going on. They were hit and super easy to make and manage. Along with the blending station were limes, sweet/sour salt and little lime drink markers I doodles and printed.

Uncle Steve's Marg Mix

Ingredients:

  • 1 can - frozen lime concentrate
  • 3/4 can - tequila
  • 1/4 can - triple sec
  • 1 Tbsp - powdered sugar
  • Lots of ice  

 Directions for Marg Mix:

  1. Empty one can of frozen lime concentrate into a blender.
  2. Fill the same can from the concentrate 3/4 with tequila and add to blender.
  3. Fill the same can from the concentrate 1/4 with tripel sec and add to blender.
  4. Add 1 Tbsp powdered sugar and blend.
  5. **This can be made prior to and refrigerated until needed for marg making.
Directions for Margs:
  1. Fill the blender or Magic Bullet container 1/4 way with marg mix.
  2. Fill the rest of the container with ice.
  3. Blend and enjoy.




To better incorporate my wall gallery into the shenanigans, I doodled and printed little word bubbles of Cinco de Mayo puns...



I did a ton of prep work for this party (I basically only host parties to force myself to do the really deep house cleaning), but for once I was totally ready before the start time. So, I could actually enjoy a little quality marg time on the patio before any guests arrived.

Oh! And the invites! I doodles those too, so that's kind of fun...


No comments:

Post a Comment