Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Little Gold Dress to Grown-up Gold Skirt

In college, I wore this little gold, sequins dress...


I mean, even for college, that is dangerously short.

Now, here I am...a GROWN-UP, a PROFESSIONAL, an ADULT and I just can't be seen in a dress that tiny and that shiny. But, I can be seen in a reasonably long skirt that shiny! As long as I don't spend any money in procuring it (as is the goal this month). So, a craft was born.

Here's how I like to start my crafts: 
1. Make a list of materials needed.
2. Get materials.
3. Just...do it.

So, I made a list of materials and realized that all the scissors in this house are shit. I walked right into Hobby Lobby (bought like 40 other things) and asked an employee for the best scissors. These, he said, they use "like all time around here." If they're good enough of Hobby Lobby--they are good enough for ME!

Here's where we started: tiny, shiny dress...scissors and elastic (from my Holiday Party 2014 tulle skirt)


Then, thanks to my ultra awesome scissors--I cut RIGHT through two layers of sequins fabric like it was water!


At this point...I realized, I have no idea what I'm doing. I found this YouTube video, which was very helpful and the craft moved onward.


And it was going GREAT, until like 95% of the way done when my bobbin ran out. SHEESH. I have failed and failed and failed to put in a new bobbin, time after time. So, I found another YouTube video--with actually just photos, but still very helpful 'cause I NAILED IT.

Just like that, it was all done. JUST LOOK AT IT. I can't believe it turned out this well?! I even tried it on (sorry, no pics) and it fit nicely! I don't want to bring down my crafty reputation, but I did not think this was going to turn out well.


Look at this great crop top/sports bra I also got out of the deal?! Whaaaaaa...


Stay tuned because I've got some super cute outfit ideas (that I probably don't have anywhere to wear) that I will definitely hopefully blog about later. Either way, the outfit for Holiday Party 2015 is totally taken care of...well, the skirt is. At least.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. I have yards of this fabric and needed inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete