Friday, March 2, 2012

a Small Thing Called an Interview

-->
Great news. I survived my first real interview. Perhaps by this point in my life, I should have faced this fear sooner...I have had some experience with job interviews and FBLA competitions, but nothing that really challenged me to have damn good answers to why I was so great for this position.

I first encountered JES Holdings at the afore blogged Career Fair. It was one of the few places I felt comfortable and I guess they saw that too. I had two missed calls when I woke up on Monday morning. I listened to the voicemail and called back. After the appointment set, Hannah continued on to apologize for calling twice. “Once I heard your voicemail, I had to make my boss listen too!” she claimed. MORTIFIED, I realized that I had not changed my voicemail message from the parody of “Never Let You Go” (Third Eye Blind) that sings, “I never get my phone, I never get my phone...”

The following few days were a blur of preparation. I’ll let my Uncalendar speak for itself:


I researched questions I that are frequently asked in interviews and talked through my answers. The JESHoldings website was on a more corporate level, but as I later learned, they manage over 150 real estate properties and do their own marketing for these. I thought through questions I might ask them. I looked over my resume, explaining each aspect and thinking of how each factor could be shaped to make me an ideal candidate for a creative marketing position. Since I was preparing for this interview while preparing for my Retail Marketing exam...I thought it would be good practice to make a "Self SWOT Analysis", which looked like this:


Wednesday morning, I pulled myself from bed at 6:30. Shower, coffee, hair, make-up, dress, review interview notes and go. I sat parked outside the building for 15 minutes; talking myself into a comfortable kind of imitation confidence. At 8:50, I checked in at the front desk and was taken to a conference room. After a wait, the three-member Marketing Team came in and introduced themselves. They explained more about the company and what they do as in-house marketers. Then they asked, “Tell me about yourself.” It went surprising well. It felt more like a conversation instead of a series of questions, which made me feel more comfortable. Enters Human Resource Director. I essentially repeated a lot of what I had told the marketing team and we discussed how I manage my time while working 30 hours a week and the extensive details required to plan an event like the Theta Philanthropy. At this point, they all thank me and show me to the door.

Oh how sweet that fresh, warm air feels. To be free of the constraints of that room and have survived--
“—Kaitlin!” I hear called behind me.
As it turns out, the Marketing Team had forgotten I was to meet with the Recruiter and Hiring Manager as well. So, I leave my freedom at the door and sit back down in the conference room I have come to know so well. The next three interviewers come in and introduce themselves and we do the same routine; a little conversation, a few questions, significantly more explanation. They looked through my portfolio (and seemed pleased) and thanked me for coming. This time I was free for real. I sink into my drivers seat, un-tuck my shirt and head home.

For a first interview, I felt really confident about my performance. The employees of JES Holdings that I talked were incredibly nice, which makes me question exactly how genuine their approval weas? But, I definitely learned how to prepare for an interview and that once I’m in front of the judges I can present myself well.

Once I was back on campus, I promptly rewarded myself by meeting Abbie and Rachel at Fieldhouse for some pizza and beer...at 11AM. But who cares, I think earned a little day drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment