Monday, January 15, 2018

2017 Book Report

Somewhere down the long stretch of I-70, or maybe hidden in one of the tiny towns along Highway 54, I thought I probably 'oughta keep track of all the books I've read (well, listened to) this year. Behold my semi-complete, non-chronological list of 35 books completed in 2017, plus a rating (out of ★), plus a random memory I associate with the book:



How to Fall in Love with Anyone ★★ A six-mile run in Bolivar, stretching in the parking lot of the First Baptist Rec Center where I parked
Rules of Civility ★★★ Being one of the first audiobooks to hear on Bluetooth in my new Toyota RAV4
Tuesdays in 1980 ★★★★★ Waking up early in Destin, Florida to read and sip coffee on the patio overlooking the beach
Girls in the Moon ★★ On the flight back from Destin, Florida being very, veryyyy sunburnt
The Girls ★★ Mowing the yard
Lilac Girls ★★★ Staining the handrail of my new stairwell
Tulip Fever ★★★ Flight to Falmouth, Massachusetts for the Road Race
Small Great Things ★★ Feeling very awkward when my car Bluetooth synced up very loudly and one of the characters was making incredibly racists comments
Dark Places ★★ Driving from Lee's Summit to Bolivar
The Thin Man ★★ Cleaning my house to rent out for a Mizzou game day weekend
The Circle ★★ Driving from Columbia to St. Louis
Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore ★★★ Folding laundry and realizing I ruined a green sweater
The Swans of Fifth Avenue ★★★ Thinking that I really need to read Breakfast at Tiffany's
Spoonbenders ★★★★★ Crunches in the driveway
Into the Water ★★★ Looping around at the two-mile mark on the Bear Creek Trail
Today Will be Different ★★★ Driving from St. Louis to Columbia
Moonglow ★★★★ Mowing the yard
What She Knew ★★★ Getting gas just outside of St. Louis
The Trespasser ★★ Tirelessly attempting to mount my curtain rod at just the right height for my new IKEA curtains
A Man Called Ove ★★★★ Finishing a run of my three-mile-loop-from-home
A Beautiful Blue Death ★★ Driving from Columbia to Harrisonville
Not That Kind of Girl ★★ Painting my main level the most beautifully, neutral color: smoke
Pretty Girls ★★★ Being the last audiobook to hear via aux cable in my Toyota Corolla
Hello, Sunshine ★★ Finishing an audiobook and not having another lined up
Words in Deep Blue ★★★★★ Taking out my pearl earrings after work
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo ★★★ Wondering if I have anything to pick-up at the dry cleaners I might've forgotten
The Goldfinch ★★★★ Making a cup of tea before bed
The ABC Murders ★★★ Digging up accessories for my Halloween costumes
Fierce Kingdom ★★★★ Driving from St. Louis to Columbia
White Fur ★★★★ Reading in the bath and obsessing over the weirdness of these characters
Fates & Furies ★★★★ Painting the afore mentioned new stairwell
Murder on the Orient Express ★★★★ Thinking about what to wear to the JES Holiday Party
Saints for All Occasions ★★★ Raking the yard
The Couple Next Door ★★ Making this totally underwhelming lemon chicken recipe
Wutherington Heights ★★ Driving home for Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment