Saturday, March 3, 2018

2018 Oscar Best Picture Nominee Reviews

I'll be watching the 2018 Academy Awards at home with mom (only right after our annual Oscarfest) this year and am excited to how all these movies fare. There were some really good ones and some eh ones, but ultimately one of the most diverse years we've had in a while. Want more of my opinions?? Keep reading...



Call Me By Your Name ★★★★★
If I can't spend at least one summer of my life in a county home in Italy then I'm going to be pissed. The movie is beautifully and nostalgically (can you experience nostalgia if you didn’t live through it?) set in 1980s Italy and I’m in love with it. Albeit, there were some parts of this movie that made me highly uncomfortable, it’s still my favorite and I hope it can take home the little gold guy.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri ★★★★
I actually liked this one a lot more than I thought I would…like even when the movie was over, I was still kind of stunned that I liked it. The characters are really rough, but in an enjoyable way. And while it’s disappointing to see another terrible portrayal of Missouri (i.e. Ozarks and Winter’s Bone), at least no one is an admitted or implied meth addict.

Lady Bird ★★★★
On the other hand, I thought I would like Lady Bird a lot more than I did. It is a great story of a rocky mother-daughter relationship with a side of preadolescent angsty struggles. I guess I can’t quite pinpoint what didn’t do it for me…but something didn’t?

The Post ★★★★
It’s another pretty straightforward story of investigative journalism, this time about the Pentagon Papers. Of course, it was well-told and dramatic as hell, but maybe a little too dramatic when told between viewings of war movies and fish sex…

The Shape of Water ★★★★
Speaking of fish sex. I really did enjoy this movie. It was interesting and the vintage vibes were great, but it just didn’t have the feel of a favorite to me. I liked the characters a lot too as they unfold around the unlikely coupling of woman and fantastical, sea creature. Oh, it’s weird alright…but it’s good.

Darkest Hour ★★★
This movie actually really helped me to understand British culture better: stoic, stubborn and loyal…did I get that right? I enjoyed getting more of insight into early-Prime-Ministership Churchill, since a lot of what I’ve seen recently is from The Crown. All in all, it was definitely worth the watch, but nothing to write home about.

Get Out ★★★
Woah. No one can actually give you an accurate teaser for this movie. “It’s like a horror comedy about racism,” is what I picked up on before watching it. I’m gonna go with “satirical thriller with a backwards take on racism?” I don’t know—I said it couldn’t be done. Anyway I was eh about it, but I liked the creative concept of the plot

Dunkirk ★★
A most disappointing war story if you ask me. I didn’t know anything about Dunkirk before I pressed play on this sucker, and maybe that was the issue, but the telling was terribly confusing. If you haven’t seen any of these yet, my suggestion would be to see Darkest Hour first…just so you’re seeing these two overlapping movies in chronological order of events.

Phantom Thread 
No. I did not enjoy this at all. It was long and slow and strange and unclear. Just no.


No comments:

Post a Comment