Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Tasting My Way to a Perfect Cheese Platter

At some point in my Pinteresting, I got it in my head that I need to make a cheese platter. Once I started searching for ideas and tips, I just could stop...and 11:45 a.m. with a growling stomach was not the ideal time.

I'm not gonna pretend I made one cheese platter and now I know enough to tell you how to do it. But, I would love to show you where I got good advice from and what I learned along the way.




Here is where you start. What makes up a cheese platter?
Anatomy of a Cheese Platter (Eats and Beats)
Elegant Entertaining: How to Make a Sophisticated Cheese Platter (Craftsy)
How to Make the Perfect Party Cheese Platter (Ambitious Kitchen)

Then, you're just gonna want to hop around and see what combinations people are suggesting and what accompaniments they use besides cheese and meat.
How to Make a Cheese Plate (Andie Mitchell)
How to Build the Perfect Cheese Tray (Julia Ryan)
How to Build the Perfect Cheese Plate (William-Sonoma)
How to Build the Perfect Cheese Plate (Style Me Pretty)




Get some final tips to make sure you aren't missing anything.
5 Tips for Creating the Perfect Cheese Platter (A Beautiful Mess)
Tips for Setting Up a Cheese & Charcuterie Spread (Celebrations at Home)
Cheese Platter Basics: Tips for the Perfect Spread (Food, Folks and Fun)

Some that I learned, for example include:

  • Be sure to let your cheese come to room temperature before serving in order to get the full flavor.
  • Instead of serving on a plate or platter, consider using craft paper as a "table cloth" and serve right off it. You can write on the paper to label each cheese and meat.
  • Keep in mind your guests' preference. Since this was the first time we have done this, I just picked a couple that looked good as a jumping off point. But, I learned that essentially no one liked brie (except me), so we'll probably try something different in its place next time.
  • Provide one knife per cheese to keep the flavors straight.
  • Choose "vehicles" (crackers) with very mild flavors as to ensure you get the full flavor of the cheese.
  • Offer at least one familiar cheese. Not everyone will be so adventurous, so be sure to have a classic on standby.



Then, don't forget your wine pairings! Entertaining Guide: Wine and Cheese Pairings (Little Family Adventure)

Or your options for labeling the cheeses... ForksStemless ForksCraft PaperWine CorksWine CorksChalkboard PlateFlags on ToothpicksPlain Old White Porcelain? I bought mine on clearance at, believe it or not, Gerbes.

I loved the cheddar, but I opted for aged, instead of white this time...which was a mistake. The spicy gouda was good to have on hand as an option, but not one of my favorites. As I told you, the brie wasn't a hit, so I will leave it off the next platter. The Asiago was that familiar cheese that was good to have on hand for the less adventurous. Most all of the accompaniments were a success, but only because Trever liked olives so much that he ate an entire party's worth of them.

We'll see what the next platter has in store...I am thinking I would like to try at least one more obscure cheese option and definitely more prosciutto.

No comments:

Post a Comment